orphaned domain controllers can cause multiple issues when trying to add additional domain controllers, or add applications that rely on Active Directory.
To delete Domain Controllers that No more exists in your Environment from Active Directory, follow the following procedure:
- Ensure that you have seized all FSMO roles from this DC before removing it.
- Remove old Computer account from “Active Directory Users and Computers” tool from the Domain Controllers OU.
- Remove old computer account by using “Active Directory Sites and Services” tool.
- Remove old DNS and WINS records of the orphaned Domain Controller.
- Use “ADSIEdit” to remove old computer records from the Active Directory:
- OU=Domain Controllers,DC=domain,DC=local
- CN=Domain System Volume (SYSVOL share),CN=File Replication Service,CN=System,DC=domain,DC=local
- Force Active Directory replication by using “RepAdmin.exe” tool